Friday, August 14, 2015

First Week is Done!

Good Evening!

Woohoo!! We have made it through our first week of 5th grade. I am so thankful for everyone at BFES who welcomed me and made me feel comfortable during my week. We got a lot done for the first week of school. It hardly feels like the school year started five days ago. Today the students took their first Word Study quiz over some Civil War vocabulary. They rocked it!!!! It is a wonderful feeling to put triple digit grades into the gradebook. I was quite impressed by how well the students retained the information. I know learning about the Civil War can be dry information to a few students, however we are one step closer to discussing historical events that occurr
ed closer to this century where the students can actually make connections to the information. I already made more copies of the F.I.B (fill in the blank) note sheets for the next few lessons we will be covering, which go more in depth to the specifics of the Civil War and introduction of Abraham Lincoln. The one note I want to stress to my students and parents is that I expect the best work from my students. I know there are times where everyone will feel lazy, but it is important to stay focused and bring me your best work. I know with the F.I.B notes this week that I saw several students rushing to complete it and had to send them back to look over various questions because they didn't read the sentence carefully. The best way to learn history is to view it as a story that is always continuing.


Overall, I am incredibly proud of my students and am thankful they are in my class. I know several have already made an impact on my life and I will never forget them! Next week we are also beginning the Lucy Calkins Writing Workshop. It is new to BFES and already has potential to be a wonderful program to help students not be so angry/scared/bored by writing. I, too, will be purchasing a notebook and writing in class! I am very excited for the rest of the school year and all the wonderful possibilities that will come my way.

Thanks!

Ms. Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment